Friday 31 July 2009

Problem drinking after retirement

A recent report from “Ireland’s premier health website” suggested that there is “…an epidemic of ‘late onset’ alcohol misuse among over-60’s who turn to drink after retirement” It went on to note that “one in eight people over 60 admitted to drinking more since retiring” and that a similar number “most often drink alone at home”. While not in this age group myself, I did immediately think of my good friend Jimmy C. In the vague hope that he may see this blog, I wanted to suggest that he should consider only drinking when he is away from home (shouldn’t be too much of a problem) alternatively he should ensure that Madame C always keeps him company!

On the subject of drink, I mentioned recently that our most recent visitors had brought generous supplies of malt whisky. Have now had the chance to taste these properly and realise how generous they were. The first bottle -a cask strength offering from the SMWS (73-34) – a 16 year old Speyside (I think)??? which had been finished in a Bourbon cask – has a tremendous nose and a lovely light flavour. Not sure that I can identify all the flavours in the tasting notes but I am certainly enjoying it. The second bottle was a new offering from Bunnahabhain – Darach Ur – which has been matured in new oak and is a completely different – but equally enjoyable – taste. Thanks again - guess I may have to be nice about Hibs this season!

No comments:

Post a Comment