Monday 30 August 2010

You shouldn't name pigs if you are planning to eat them!


Our two pigs have now been with us for almost 4 weeks and they have settled in well and are putting on weight before our eyes. Only another 8-9 weeks and they will be off to the butcher! Hoping to get them to 50-55Kg by then and this looks very achievable.

They are great fun and despite my initial reservations have proved very easy to manage - they'll do anything for the hint of a bucket of feed and they learned about the electric fence very quickly.

Everyone says that you shouldn't name them as it will make it difficult when it comes time for the trip to the butcher, however you haveto have some way to identify them. My solution was to name them after a couple of people who I would happily slaughter if I had the chance so I am pleased to introduce Billy and Bruce.

Billy is the one with the thin face -and a passing resemblance to ET -and is named after an old colleague who some of you may remember, while Bruce is the fat greedy one who is just like his namesake - an old client from many years ago. It amuses me - childish, I know - that these two now spend their time together, sleeping in the same pen and eating from the same bowl while their namesakes couldn't abide each other!

No comments:

Post a Comment