Friday 25 January 2019

Cycling – It seemed like a good idea in September


On the last day of our September trip, after we had completed the Bains Kloof hike and were relaxing at a winery outside Wellington with a refreshing glass of something or other, Sue and Ally and a couple of their friends suggested that since we planned to be here in March, I should join them and enter the Cape Argus cycle ride

Obviously, I jumped at the chance and we had hardly unpacked when we got home before I was registered for the ride. Over the course of the last few months, I have done a bit of extra Cardio exercise and few spin classes to prepare me for this ordeal but as ever I am now feeling woefully unprepared with only 6 weeks to go. 

I have rented a very smart road bike which weighs substantially less than my Dawes Galaxy at home – and costs more per week than my average wine consumption at UK prices – and I am now signed up for three training rides with Ally and Cameron – 38km this weekend, 70km the following weekend and 91km a couple of weeks later.

Slightly disappointed to learn that Sue will now be busy doing her hair – or something equally important - on the day of the ride but looking forward to finding out over the next few weeks whether or not I am really up for this. I am sure that there will be some fun along the way and it is almost guaranteed to feature in future blog posts, unless I give up and focus on wine drinking instead.  

Linda insisted that I should include a photo of the OMIL (don’t think I qualify as a MAMIL anymore) with his flash new bike:-




2 comments:

  1. Good for you Richard .Just stay away from car doors

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the reminder, have managed to stay on quiet roads so far. May be more challenging as I venture further afield.

      Delete