Sunday 27 January 2019

Cycling - the reality

I was out at 6.00am on Friday for my first ride on the new bike - managed about 25km - riding laps around the main road of the estate - a good road surface, no traffic and all on one level. On Saturday it was similar but I managed 30km slightly faster.

For the first race this morning, I left the house at about 5.00am, was registered for the ride and drinking my first coffee by the time Ally and Cameron arrived, and set off in the third group for the ride at about 6.30. As a gentle start to the training we had signed up for the 38km ride around the winelands with a couple of gentle hills, leaving the 91 km to the serious riders.


Amazed how many people were taking part between the two events - a very busy place at 5.30am.

Had a fairly easy ride, but happy enough to finish at just over 90 minutes - 1st in my age group. Cameron had a puncture with less than 1km to go and as a result finished outside his 80 min target time, while Ally seemed happy with her result - a few minutes behind me.

Next Sunday, we are signed up for a 70km ride north of Paarl with a couple of larger hills - that may be more testing - I need to get some practice on the hills - and the distance this week. However I have identified a couple of rides which involve sufficient distance and a few hills and finish at a winery so Linda can meet me for lunch and drive me home!

No comments:

Post a Comment