Monday 11 March 2019

Finally...

Not smiling at this point!
After my early healthy breakfast and hydration - and a farewell from Linda - I made it to the start at the Grand Parade an hour before my start time as recommended. Interesting to see how many people were queueing for a bit of maintenance on their bikes.

The event organisation was excellent and despite the challenge of starting 36,000 riders it all seemed to move along flawlessly. As I was waiting to enter my start gate, I met a young woman from Woking Cycling Club - a South African who works as a lawyer for a Canary Wharf bank. Despite the fact that she was a committed club cyclist - and a good bit younger - we had similar target times and agreed to cycle together - always better than cycling on your own.

As our start time arrived we headed off straight into a strong crosswind which caused a few problems however we made it through the early stages. The ride up Edinburgh Drive - one of the steepest
inclines on the course - was an early challenge but then followed by the long downhill to Muizenburg - straight into the wind.

By the time we got to Fish Hoek, the wind was blowing across the road and blasting us with sand from the beach - thankfully only for 3-400 metres but as we turned down through Simonstown the wind was in our faces again.

Unfortunately I lost contact with her as we started the climb up Smitswinkel - I was focussed on the long climb and some amazing views - and she never appeared again although she finished less than 5 minutes after me. From there, I rode down through Norddhoek, up Chapmans Peak Drive, through Hout Bay, over Suikerbossie and then 15km home for a fast finish along the shore road through Camps Bay and Sea Point which was almost all downhill.

Think I'm in there somewhere towards the back
I didn't make my target time of 4 1/2 hours - I'm blaming the wind - but was still home under 5 hours and even managed to find Cam when I got there - he'd started about an hour before me and had already had his post-race big Mac and fries.

Now I can smile
Linda was waiting for me with Chocolate Milk and egg custard tarts - the ideal after race combination in my view. I was happy to wait for beer until after I had cleaned up and we were back at La Parada watching the Ireland-France game with a pint or two Devils Peak Wit Beer to aid the rehydration  process.

1 comment:

  1. Well done, matey. Am tired just reading the match report.

    ReplyDelete