Friday 3 February 2012

There is always one!

We had a very pleasant evening at Patio Bellavista in Santiago and got a good sleep before our 07.00 wake up call and an early breakfast.

We took a private taxi in from the airport last night since it had been a long day, and I arranged for the driver to pick us up at 08.00 for the return journey at an agreed fare of 10,000 pesos (about £14). He arrived as agreed and made good time on the road but then pulled over on the hard shoulder on the airport approach road to announce that the fare was now 13,000. We had a somewhat heated discussion during which I called him a bandido and used some words I have only heard in an Almodovar movie. After I paid him 11,000 he finished the journey and dropped us off at the terminal without a further word.

Thankfully our check-in was seamless and there was a Starbucks in the departure lounge so I could calm down and prepare myself for the 40 or so aged Americans who were on the flight with us to Puerto Montt. Two of them began a conversation as we started down the jetway and by the time we boarded the plane I knew their home addresses, golf handicaps and approximate net worth!

No comments:

Post a Comment