Sunday 12 January 2020

Day 17 - Monday 6th January

At Sea - 1C, 12-15kt wind and gentle swell - crossing the Drake in benign conditions - I've seen bigger waves in the Firth of Forth.

Time to put away the Christmas tree and decorations.

Skipped gym and had a long lie and a leisurely breakfast followed by a great talk about penguins by our Ornithologist, Fabrice.

LP went to yoga , but I ducked out to spend some time on deck trying to spot different whales -  just as I popped inside for a warming cup of coffee, the group on the bridge wing spotted a blue whale crossing ahead of the vessel . By the time I got there I managed to see the last blow but nothing else.

Miko gave us an amusing talk on life at the Polish Antarctic station. then it was lunch and back outside to Bridge wing for an hour or so, but nothing to see – missed a breaching Humpback on other side.

Final recap and briefing – because the weather is forecast to continue very calm, there is a chance that we will be able to pass to the west of Cape Horn and then round the Cape on our way back to the Beagle Channel and Ushuaia

Before dinner, we had drinks with the expedition team and a charity auction with some interesting items. Despite helping to push the prices on most items, I was only successful in a bid for hand made blanket of Falkland Islands wool which LP was keen on.. The final item was a hand decorated chart of our voyage which I would have made a great memento of the trip.

Unfortunately one of the Americans fancied it too and we had a bit if a tussle until he got fed up and topped my last bid with an offer of $10,000. I was pretty sure he was going to keep going but Linda looked a little concern when I offered $8,000 - still the charities did well out of it.


No comments:

Post a Comment