Friday 7 September 2018

Outward Journey

Our flights to Cape Town via Heathrow were relatively uneventful and as comfortable as could be expected.

I do like travelling on the 747 - there may be bigger more modern aircraft nowadays - but I always feel relaxed when I get settled in my seat on the 747. For our Cape town flight we could have chosen either A380 or the 747 but I had no doubt which one to chose. It may be something to do with the fact that almost all of my international travel - starting in 1971 - has been in the 'Jumbo' era. I know that all the US airlines have dropped the aircraft from their passenger fleets but it will always be my first choice.

Our arrival into SA was very efficient - no immigration queue and bags through promptly - until we got to the car hire. The first step with Hertz was straightforward and all looked good as we loaded up the bags and prepared to drive off, but having noticed some chips on the windscreen which were not noted, I went to get someone's attention while Linda had another look around the car. Not sure how we - or they - missed it, but she noticed that we had one very soft tyre.  That meant another 20 mins of paperwork while we changed the car and transferred the bags over and got on our way down town.

We're staying at Rouge on Rose again - think this may be our 5th visit - and it is great to be greeted like family or old friends even though we haven't been here for 18 months. Definitely feels like coming home!

1 comment: