Sunday 17 February 2019

Another Sunday, another bike race

As my alarm went of at 04.45 this morning I did wonder what I was doing.

However I managed to get myself up, dressed and on the road for 5.30 on my way to the Windmeul winery for the start of the second PPA sportive. Today I'm signed up for the 91km race starting at 06.30.

According to the PA announcer, there are 800 people entered in the two races today - with over 500 in the long race. Its a fairly straightforward course - mostly long straight roads with the occcasional hill - and of course one long climb up the hill at Riebeck Kasteel.

It was only 16C as we started but the temperature rose steadily through the morning and had doubled by the time I finished. The long hill was a bit of a challenge but otherwise it was just a long hot ride - thankfully with some interesting companions. Happy enough with my time of 3hrs 45mins but will need to increase my range for the 109km of the Cape Argus in three weeks - have to up the training routine I guess.

Just as a farewell bonus, I won two bottles of Windmeul wines in the raffle which put a smile on my face.


2 comments:

  1. Good for you Richard. I cant even imagine seating on a bike seat for 3 hrs and 45 mins. No thank you but I do like the raffle win. Hope all is well and that you are now soaking in the pool with a glass of wine beside you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely a few tender places this morning but swimming in the pool helped a bit. hope you're all surviving the cold and snow.

    ReplyDelete