Sunday 24 February 2019

Sunday cycling again

There was a Sportive race today - 102km at Durbanville - but no one was really interested in it so Cam and I decided to do a long ride of our own.




We met at 6.30 on a cool misty morning and headed out over Helshoogte Pass on a 120km loop ride via Stellenbosch and Klapmuts which brought us back over Helshoogte after about 80km and a stop for refreshments at Tokara when we reached the top

While Cam was faster than me on the downhill - he clocked 77km on the downhill run into Stellenbosch before he had to slow down for the speed cameras - and probably could have left me standing on the straight, I put that down to the fact that he is 50 years younger than me. However I was pleased to see that I could ride away from him on the climbs - particularly on the 7km return climb up Helshoogte.

Now that I know I can ride the distance, I promise I won't mention any more cycling until the race itself - which is now only two weeks away.

Meanwhile I have retired again to my cool shady place to await the Italy/Ireland game and rehydrating with a very pleasant Windmeul Sauvignon Blanc - part of last week's raffle prize



No comments:

Post a Comment